Solidaridad envisions a world in which all we produce and consume can sustain us, while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. We work throughout the whole supply chain to make sustainability the norm and ensure farmers and workers have a living income, influence, and produce in balance with nature.
We are looking for an experienced professional to strengthen the Policy Influencing team of Solidaridad Europe. This team advocates for regulatory frameworks and supporting policies to ensure that products sold at the European market are produced in a sustainable way. We call on the private sector to implement comprehensive sustainability policies, adopt sustainable sourcing models and purchasing practices. Key themes include living income and wage, smallholder and gender inclusivity, and value redistribution in the chain.
The Policy Influencing team develops recommendations and positions Solidaridad as a thought leader in its field. We collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders to set the agenda, influence policies and propose solutions. We work with policy makers in governments and multilateral agencies, policy makers in companies and industry organizations, and multi-stakeholder organizations and roundtables.
The Policy Influencing team works across a range of commodities, of which cocoa is one.
In this position you will focus on:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate advocacy strategies;
- Develop clear policy positions on key topics related to a sustainable and inclusive cocoa supply chain, in close collaboration with colleagues from Solidaridad offices around the world;
- Advocate for the adoption of Solidaridad’s recommendations for a sustainable and inclusive cocoa and chocolate industry;
- Build and maintain a strong network with key policy makers in cocoa and chocolate companies, industry organizations, governments, MSIs and other NGOs;
- Represent Solidaridad in various coalitions and multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- Analyze complex policy debates and communicate these in an accessible way;
- Create visibility for Solidaridad’s positions and recommendations by (co-)developing papers, organizing events, and being visible in debates and (social) media;
- Develop and contribute to communication and press strategies, as well as campaigns, together with the communications team.
- Develop work plans, reporting to donors;
- Internal management, coordination and cooperation with colleagues on relevant topics.
The ideal candidate has advocacy experience, a flair for building movements with people from a variety of backgrounds, and the ability to turn complex policy topics into compelling narratives. You are an excellent international team player with a strong degree of autonomy, shows initiative, and is solution oriented. Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and manage workload.
- Strong affinity with Solidaridad’s vision, mission and work and knowledge of recent developments in the area of public sustainability policies, corporate social responsibility and sustainable economic development;
- Interest in and knowledge of the cocoa sector, its stakeholders and supply chain. A good understanding of the social, environmental and economic challenges in the cocoa sector;
- Experience with advocacy towards public and private policy makers;
- Strong networking skills; ability to build and maintain a relevant network among decision makers from the private and public sector;
- Intercultural sensitivity, excellent communication skills, and ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment;
- At least 10 years relevant working experience, preferably with a NGO or a multinational enterprise;
- Academic working and thinking level. Relevant higher education degree;
- Professional fluency in English;
- Ability to travel to attend meetings and conferences, and to visit other Solidaridad offices;
- Allowed to work in the EU.
- Experience with NGO advocacy and campaigning;
- Experience with working with different types of stakeholders along the supply chain, including smallholder cocoa farmers and communities in the Global South;
- Experience working in a decentralized network organization;
- Understanding of due diligence frameworks for international responsible business conduct, and EU legislative processes;
- Proficient in French reading and writing.
- A unique and rewarding job within an inspiring and international setting, starting as soon as possible;
- You will join Solidaridad Europe’s Policy Influencing team in Utrecht, and will have the opportunity to work with an innovative and dedicated network of professionals in Europe and across the world;
- A one-year contract with the possibility of extension, 32-36 hours/week;
- Gross salary scale BBRA Grade 11 (minimum EUR 3.503 maximum EUR 5.343 per month);
- An additional holiday allowance of 8% will be paid to the employee in May of every calendar year;
- In addition, Solidaridad pays an end-of-year allowance equivalent to 8.3% of the gross annual salary earned;
- Solidaridad offers a non-contributory pension plan;
- Contribution to moving expenses;
- Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands, with national and international travel required.
Do you recognize yourself in this candidate profile? Then please submit your one-page motivation letter and two-page resume in English to email@example.com and state “Application: Policy Influencing Advisor – Cocoa” in the subject header. The closing date for this vacancy is 9 October 2022.
Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to Boukje Theeuwes, Head of Policy Influencing, (+31 (0)30 272 03 13).
A reference check and assessment may be part of the selection procedure.
Work permit restrictions may apply.
No agencies please.
Any personal data submitted in an application is treated confidentially and processed for the sole purpose of filling a vacancy, and compliant to the GDPR directive. After the selection process has been completed (upon the date of filled vacancy), all personal data of applicants who have not been selected will be destroyed immediately, unless we have your explicit approval to store your personal data for a period of maximum a year.
Solidaridad envisions a world in which all we produce and all we consume can sustain us, while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. We bring together supply chain actors and engage them in innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all.
Solidaridad is an international network organization consisting of eight regional expertise centers located around the world (Asia, South America, Southern Africa, East and Central Africa, West Africa, Central America, North America and Europe), each with their own specific expertise and focus. Globally, Solidaridad works across 13 commodities.
Solidaridad Europe focuses on market development, policy influencing, communications and donor relations. We seek to inspire the private sector, governments, civil society organizations and consumers in Europe to contribute to sustainable economic development.
For more information please refer to our website: http://www.solidaridadnetwork.org