Solidaridad North America is looking for a seasoned Communications Manager to join a lean team of committed professionals that is growing Solidaridad’s presence in North America and driving support to global programs tackling the biggest challenges all along the supply chain. The Communications Manager will apply their expertise to develop and implement effective communication strategies that enhance Solidaridad’s brand and visibility, communicate impact, and complement our partnership building and fundraising efforts with donors, corporations, and other stakeholders.
The Communications Manager will be an excellent storyteller, writer and editor, with a proven track record in delivering high-impact communications (through written material, events, social media content etc.) based on technical soundness and creative collaboration. From distilling stories of impact from project reports and data dashboards, to building relationships with the media and thought leaders, to establishing a strong online presence at the intersection of themes such as climate, deforestation, migration, and inclusion, this role calls for creative thinking and cross-cultural collaboration.
The ideal candidate has a results-oriented work attitude, is a self-starter, requires minimal supervision, and enjoys working as part of a team. Preference for candidates with experience working in cross-cultural settings. The Communication Manager will report to the Managing Director, Solidaridad North America and to the Global Communication Manager. They will work closely with the North America team on building and implementing the region’s communications strategy, while collaborating with Soliaridad’s global communications team on website content, brand development, outreach strategies, and annual goals.
Minimal travel, domestic and possibly some international, is anticipated.
Location: Based in the United States; possibly a remote work opportunity. East Coast preferable, other locations can be considered. Funds for a WeWork or similar co-working space can be considered.
What’s in it for you
Bringing together the strengths of a global solutions-driven network organization with the energy of an innovative start-up, Solidaridad North America offers a competitive salary and benefits package with a flexible, remote, and supportive work environment that values the contributions and well being of every team member.
This role offers numerous opportunities for growth, innovation and collaboration with talented teams in Asia, Africa, Latin America, and Europe, who are creating an immediate impact in the lives of thousands of smallholder producers globally – communities living and working on the frontlines of climate change.
The Communications Manager will develop and implement Solidaridad North America’s communication strategy, in close collaboration with the North America team. They will also contribute to the communications activities of the overall Solidaridad network by participating in the network-wide communications team, coordinated by the Global Communication Manager of the Network Secretariat. The Communication Manager will also work closely with communication staff in other regions and facilitate the collection and dissemination of information from local to global level.
- Continuously maintain and improve the global website to meet our communication goals
- Collect, edit, publish, monitor and update information on the global website and social media channels
- Publish an average of 2 new contributions each week (based on regional inputs) to the global website and social media channels
- Support dissemination and PR management for the global Smallholder Farmers Report, an annual flagship publication by Solidaridad
- Regularly produce stories, social media updates, and other relevant communication content related to projects funded by North American donors, in coordination with project teams
- Play the role of Lead Communications Coordinator for a multi-country USAID-supported project; coordinate with country-level project teams and project leads to support high-quality deliverables as per agreed upon work plans and donor requirements
- Develop and position content (articles, thought leadership pieces, op-eds etc.) related to Solidaridad’s global programs in relevant media platforms (newspapers, trade journals, etc.)
- Identify, promote and support Solidaridad’s participation in conferences, webinars, and research activities
- Support the development and design of reports, pitch decks, presentations etc. for impact reporting and fundraising activities
- Collect, write, edit, publish, monitor and update the monthly e-newsletter
- Collect, write, edit, publish, monitor and update the global annual report
- Increase traffic to the global website and social media channels through cross-promotion, link sharing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), affiliate programs, and community management
- Provide editorial and writing support to high level global communication products
- Regularly monitor and update information on the global website and social media channels, in collaboration with regional teams
- Provide quarterly and annual reviews of website and social media analytics, and advise on possible improvements to meet our communication goals
- Support regional communications managers to develop strategic online communications that align with Solidariadad’s global vision and mission
Knowledge and Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters degree preferred in subjects such as communications, marketing, media, and design
- 10+ years of professional experience in a mid-career to senior communications role, preferably in a global setting for change-making organizations
- Proven expertise in developing and implementing high-impact communication strategies
- Excellent ability to gather information, analyze and synthesize complex content, and develop clear and persuasive content for a range of communication materials
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, specifically for online purposes, and social media fluency
- Basic to intermediate photo editing and design skills
- Experienced in conceptualizing and organizing events
- Experienced in identifying and building partnerships with thought leaders, media outlets, press leads etc.
- Native speaker fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of and experience with website maintenance and management (experience with and knowledge of WordPress is desirable)
- Knowledge of and experience with SEO concepts, tools, and Analytics (Google Analytics 4 is desirable)
- Knowledge of and affinity with new technologies and developments in online communication
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments, and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrable and direct experience in working in multi-organizational teams and projects
- Experience working in the North American context, along with exposure to global work cultures
- Experience working/living overseas is highly desirable
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Cultural sensitivity
- Ability to build consensus and work effectively within an international cross-departmental team
- A meticulous eye for detail
How to apply
If you think you’re a good fit and are ready for the challenge, please email salary expectations, resume and cover letter to Michaelyn Baur at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Communications Manager, Solidaridad North America in the subject line. Deadline for submissions is July 21, 2022, 5 pm EST. Position will be open until filled.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.