We welcome the game changing amendments introduced by the Parliament, which have the potential
to enable an inclusive implementation of the regulation in smallholder-intensive sectors.
Therefore, we urge the negotiators to support the Parliament’s call to include the following elements
in the final regulation:
- Including human rights protected under international law in the scope of the regulation, in
particular instruments protecting customary tenure rights and the right to Free, Prior and
Informed Consent (as set out in the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
and the Indigenous and Tribal Peoples Convention (No 169 1989 Ensuring that these rights are
respected is crucial to tackle global deforestation.
- Ensuring that the costs of compliance are not pushed down to smallholders, and that they
are shared fairly amongst supply chains’ actors in accordance with their respective capacities.
- Including an obligation for operators to undertake reasonable and documented efforts to
support the compliance of smallholders’ products in line with the requirements set out in the
regulation It implies adequate assistance such as investments, capacity building, as well as fair
pricing mechanisms which are essential to address structural underlying patterns that prevent
smallholders from producing in a sustainable and deforestation free way.
- Outlining an obligation for operators to engage meaningfully with vulnerable stakeholders
in their supply chains such as smallholders, forest communities, Indigenous Peoples and local
communities, to inform their due diligence process.
- Including a reference to a comprehensive and time bound strategy on supply side measures
to be developed by the Commission with specific attention to the needs of smallholders and
forest communities to transition towards sustainable farming and forestry practices, and
produce compliant products according to the requirements of the regulation.
Shaping a smallholder-inclusive EU regulation is the prerequisite for a future proof and fair
regulatory framework that can effectively reduce global deforestation, while ensuring no one is left
Please refer to the list of signatories in the official joint statement document.