Gain a deeper understanding of ASM gold
Our series of free interactive webinars and informative videos aims to separate fact from fiction, demystifying the myths surrounding the risks, ethics and opportunities of artisanal and small-scale (ASM) gold mining.
Digging for the truth about ASM gold
There are 25 million people around the world working as artisanal and small-scale gold miners, and their work accounts for about 15% of the global supply (Metals Focus 2019).
This represents a trade value of roughly 25 billion dollars and the investment potential is huge.
Yet, the sector suffers from a dubious reputation among micro-credit financiers, impact investors and the private sector worldwide. Why? And how can we be part of creating fairer, safer and healthier livelihoods for millions of gold miners?
Golden Myths webinar #1: Fact vs. Fiction
Kirsten Hund (World Bank), Carla Neefs (Solidaridad) and David Sturmes (The Impact Facility) kicked off the webinar series on 22 April. All webinar recordings will be made available to watch on our YouTube channel.
Hear from the experts
In discussion with experts, you can gain a deeper understanding of a wide range of issues relevant to you, no matter where you find yourself along the value chain: gold refiner, trader, jewellery brand, electronic brand, impact investor or donor.
We invite you to join the whole series of webinars to gain a comprehensive overview of the most pressing issues facing the artisanal and small-scale gold supply chain today, or just dip in and out for the subjects most relevant to your interests.
Designed and facilitated by Solidaridad and The Impact Facility.
Date & time: Wednesday, 3 June, 16:00 CEST
Facilitator: Cyrus Njonde Maina, Regional Manager East Africa at The Impact Facility
- Barbara Hendus, Program Officer Extractives & Conservation at IUCN National Committee of the Netherlands (IUCN NL)
- Susan Egan Keane, Senior Director of Global Strategies (International Program) at Natural Resources Defense Council
- From mine to market: Digging deep into the gold value chain
- How can artisanal and small-scale gold mining benefit national economies in South America? A global perspective
- Responsible gold: Raising the standards in artisanal and small-scale gold mining
- Access to finance for artisanal and small-scale gold miners: Difficulties and solutions
- Investing in artisanal and small-scale gold mining: Removing the high risk factor